1 General Overview
This is a Service Level Agreement (SLA) between the campus community and the Information Technology Services Division (ITS) to document:
- The Faculty WordPress Service (FWPS)
- The general levels of response, availability, and maintenance associated with these services
- The responsibilities of ITS as a provider of these services
- The responsibilities of the clients receiving these services
- Deviations from the standard processes documented in the ITS and Campus SLA
This Agreement is valid from 1/1/15 – 12/31/16. Review is every two years, or as otherwise needed.
2 Service Description
2.1 Service Scope Overview
More information about the UCSC Faculty Web Service, including instructions for use and specific information on features and limitations of the service, is available online at http://sites.ucsc.edu.
Purpose: The service provides users with a content management tool to facilitate creation of websites. Users create their own sites – this is not a website creation, design or site maintenance service, although some functional support staff may choose to make exceptions and directly support end users in the development of their sites.
- Requesting the Service
- Account creation: accounts are created dynamically upon login with cruzID and Gold password.
- Site creation: sites are created by faculty, grads, and academic staff via a “create site” button after logging in. Multiple sites can be created.
- Addition of additional site editors: site owners can add users and assign a maintenance role.
- Site launch:
- New sites require no special launch activities
- Transfer of cnames, redirects, retirement of old sites can be requested via a form on the help site: http://sites.ucsc.edu/launching-your-site/
- Cost: Free
- Functional support
- Faculty Instructional Technology Center (FITC) provides functional support for faculty and graduate teaching assistants.
- Functional support for graduate students, researchers, and post-docs is self-help only unless they are assisting a faculty member with a website.
- UCSC faculty (active and emeriti)
- Research staff including researchers, post docs, etc. (active)
- Graduate students
- For website maintenance roles (added by the website owner)
- Anyone with a CruzID
- Collaborators external to UCSC (via local WP account)
- Administrative units
- Former faculty, graduate students, and academic staff (Note: emeriti are actively associated and maintain eligibility after retirement.)
2.3 Removal of Websites
Web sites of authors who have left the university (except emeriti) may be removed. Departing site authors can export content easily using the WordPress exporter tool located in the “Tools” section of the administrative interface. This content can be imported to another WordPress site. Abandoned websites may also be removed after a reasonable effort has been made to contact the author. Websites that have any security vulnerability will be taken down.
2.4 Service Level Performance
For support requests submitted Online / IT Request (itrequest.ucsc.edu), response times will be tracked and reported as part of the ITS and Campus SLA. The report is posted quarterly in the ITS Service Catalog, “Service & System Metrics“.
2.5 ITS Responsibilities
ITS responsibilities and/or requirements in support of this Agreement include:
- Functional support for faculty via the Faculty Instructional Technology Center
- Technical maintenance of infrastructure
- Self service tools (website)
- Service lifecycle management
- ITS will post scheduled changes on the ITS Maintenance Calendar and notify all account holders for major changes or planned outages.
- ITS will provide information on updates to WordPress functionality at http://sites.ucsc.edu/
- Follow the principle of least perusal, the policy for access without consent, and other specifications in the UC Electronic Communications Policy and the UCSC implementation of that policy.
2.6 Customer Responsibilities
Customer responsibilities and/or requirements in support of this Agreement include:
- Responsibility for monitoring and updating site as needed when WordPress functionality changes
- Removal of users who should no longer have access to the site
- Adherence to UCSC policies, processes and procedures regarding use of electronic data. UCSC Policies
- Contact the ITS Support Center for incidents.
3. Requesting Service & Support
See the ITS and Campus SLA for standard methods of contacting ITS for service.
- UCSC Faculty, grads and research staff simply “register” by logging in with their gold password
- Collaborators: contact the site owner for access
- Site Creation: creating a new website is a simple function within the user’s WordPress dashboard after logging in (Faculty, Grads, Academic Staff only)
- Support for faculty websites
- Support for graduate student and research staff websites is self-help. The service and support site (http://sites.ucsc.edu) has extensive functional documentation.
4. Hours of Coverage, Response Times and Escalation
For all requests, the ITS goal is to have a staff member assigned and acknowledge requests within 8 business hours of receipt. Campus priorities may require exceptions to this goal during certain times of the Academic year. See the ITS and Campus SLA.
- FITC Functional Support for Faculty
- M-F, 8am – 5 pm
- System outages: 24/7
5. Maintenance and Service Changes
Web Services abide by the standard maintenance and service change process whenever possible. See the ITS and Campus SLA for additional detail.
- Faculty Web Service maintenance window: Mondays and Thursdays from 7 PM to 9 PM
- Changes are listed on the ITS Maintenance Calendar.