What is WordPress for Faculty?
The WordPress for Faculty service was conceived and developed via a partnership between Academic Divisional Computing, Campus Web Services, and the Faculty Instructional Technology Center (FITC). The Service Team continues this collaboration. The goal is to provide faculty, researchers and graduate students ready access to easy-to-use web publishing tools for promoting their research and professional activities.
WordPress is a web-site management system that allows you to create websites with very little technical or design expertise. It comes with design templates, a relatively easy-to-learn editing environment, and a host of tools to make your website look fantastic.
- Easy-to-use interface
- Web-based editing, no desktop software needed
- Ability to add others to help manage the content on your website(s).
- Built-in version control
- Built-in search
- Images and video embedding for a multi-media experience
- Built in themes allow you to focus on content not design
- High availability, robust, and secure environment
- Nightly backups
- Faculty support provided by the Faculty Instructional Technology Center (FITC)
- Limited to installed plugins.
Any additional functionality through other plugins would have to be evaluated and tested by Web Services to see if it they work, are well supported, and play nicely with other plugins and themes. We will evaluate requests on a quarterly basis and the vetting process takes some time. Many plugins and themes have weaknesses that could result in system slow-down, successful hacking attempts, or malfunction of existing plugins.
- Limited to installed themes.
- Graduate student and research staff support is self-help only unless working on a faculty member's site.
The WordPress service is available to all faculty, grads, and research staff in support of professional, academic, research, and scholarly activities. The service is not intended for undergraduate, staff, or administrative web sites.
Self-service help is available on this website and a large number of very short video tutorials are available from the WordPress administrative dashboard. Faculty are also eligible for WordPress support through the Faculty Instructional Technology Center (FITC). More information...
- Design clean and attractive websites
- Manageable Blogs
- Easy to use!
- Add as many users you need or want to your sites
- Custom Menus
- Create Galleries
- Create Slideshows
- Create Contact/Feedback Forms
- WYSIWYG Editor
- Tons of Widgets/Plug-Ins add to overall functionality
- Password Protected Sites
- In-Site Searching
- Social Media Links
- CSS Editor
- PageBuilder 2.0
- JetPack Accessbility
- Akismet Spam Protector